I had some butternut squash from our last couple Brown Box Veggies boxes, and I wanted to try my hand at another roasted butternut squash soup. So I started out, using this recipe from Calm Healthy Sexy as a guide.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 butternut squash
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 Russet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- Carefully slice squash in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and most of the fibrous strings. Place the halves cut side down on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment. Bake at 375 until soft all the way through, about 60 minutes. Cool.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or soup pot. Add carrots and saute several minutes until soft. Add chicken broth and potato slices and bring to a boil. Boil gently until potato slices are cooked all the way through.
- When the squash is cool enough to handle, scoop the pulp out of the skin and into the pot. Add salt and pepper. Cook everything together for 2-3 minutes. Mash the potatoes and carrots with a potato masher, or if you prefer a smoother soup, puree in batches.
- Add half and half and coriander to soup and mix in thoroughly. If the soup is too think for you liking, add a little more half and half. Heat through and serve.